At least this is how it is reported in the magazine The Mice Times of Asia that is published in Singapore, and Bangkok. Leading the list of the 10 longest place names is a place in New Zealand with 85 letters that is also recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest. With less than a half of these 85 letters there is a Basque place name that is also the longest on the European continent, at only 39 letters. Following, the list of the longest place names of the world.
Donostia-San Sebastián. Whoever thought that Donostia-San Sebastian was a long place name has never red any of the names of the list published at the Mice Times of Asia. For example, in this list of ten, the shortest name only has 26 letters and the longest has 85! The Basque name comes from the Valley of Baztan and is in 5th place in the world and 1st in Europe.
The list goes in reverse order, from shorter to longer. Here is the list:
01. Mamungkukumpurangkuntjunya (Australia) - 26 letters. Is the name of a hill near the town of Marla in Southern Australia.
02. Bovenendvankeelafsnysleegte (South Africa) - 27 letters. Farm in Upper Karoo, in the South African province of Northern Cape
03. Venkatanarasimharajuvaripeta (India) - 28 letters. Name of a train station in the state of Andhra Pradesh
04. Pekwachnamaykoskwaskwaypinwanik (Canada) - 31 letters. Lake in Northwest Manitoba, the longest place name in Canada
05. Äteritsiputeritsipuolilautatsijnk (Finland) - 35 letters – Swampy area in the Lappi Province. The longest place name in Finland.
06. Azpilikuetagaraikosaroiarenberekolarrea (Euskal Herria) - 39 letters – Longest name in Europe in Azpilikueta, Baztan, Nafarroa.
07. Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein (South Africa) - 44 letters - Farm 200 kms west of Pretoria, 20 kms east of Lichtenburg
08. Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg (USA) - 45 letters. Lake in Massachusetts, near Weber, area of the Nipmuc tribe.
09. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (Wales) - 58 letters. Community and town in Wales, on the island of Anglesey. This is the longest name in Great Britain, but was named for touristic reasons.
10. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu (New Zealand) - 85 letters. Name of a hill. The longest name in the world and Guinness Book record holder.
(the Original article)